molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Indicator variables
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:55 am 

Hi
How can I show variables from a indicator I've downloaded and then used as a custom indicator in Strategy Builder. I am attaching a Keltner channel to my charts and wish to optimise its inputs. If I have to type in some code to do it well so be it but not sure where to start.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Indicator variables
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:58 am 

When you import the custom indicator into the strategy builder it adds all variables separated by commas in the custom field. (see molanis.com/support/manuals)
So you may see something like 10,3,4 etc Every number is an input for the indicator. You need to know what they do.
In the strategy builder create a variable, let call it period, then go to the TA icon that has the custom indicator, and replace a number with the variable.
You will have something like
period,3,4
You can also do this directly in the metaeditor if you are comfortable with changing the code

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:13 pm 

The TA icon shows all the variables in the custom field. The indicator I'm using has at least 5 variables. Does this mean in need to open 5 TA blocks and set each input as a variable?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:59 am 

You have to make the change in all the icons that use the custom indicator. For example, A simple ma strategy uses 2 TA icons, one to buy and one to sell. If you use a custom ma indicator, you will need to change it in both TAs otherwise optimization will one work for one side (buy or sell)