molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Muttitimeframe Indicator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:48 am 

Hi,

In Indicator builder we are allowed to select different periods, for the one symbol, from the 2nd parameter

i.e iCustom(Symbol(),PERIOD_D1,...)

I tried doing the following, built an equation that uses a combination of just PERIOD_D1 and PERIOD_W1 to get a signal.

I attach the indicator to D1, the signals are given correctly.

However as I scroll across timeframes other than D1, I see totally different signals that does not match at all what I expect to see where they occurred from D1 chart.

If I don't use PERIOD_X and set to 0 meaning current chart time, and take out the extra higher timeframe conditions, signals are given correctly across all charts time from M1 -> MN on the current timeframe indicator is attached.

For a multitimeframe indicator where the mathematics checks the conditions across different periods, how do I ensure that the signals will always be correct no matter what timeframe I attach the indicator on chart ?

I hope this make sense.

Thank You

Post subject: Re: Muttitimeframe Indicator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:40 am 

Think I might get my answer by following this post http://www.molanis.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5496&start=20 and try again

One question is specifying Symbol() and NULL the same thing ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:49 am 

In this case they are the same.
For multitimeframe you need to attach it to the lower timeframe. Keep in mind that you cannot backtest it so all tests have to be done live

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:33 pm 

I have tried and did the following. attach the indicator with period that updates as per the chart and attach a 2nd custom indicator of the first with the period fixed and higher timeframe. when I attach the fixed time period indicator to a lower chart one, the fixed time indicator is incorrect at start.

For some reason I have to sync to the chart the fixed period works one, making both indicators shows the same. After when I scroll across time the fixed one stays the same to the it's fixed period while the other one updates.

This raises another question for me that relates to strategy builder, that uses those custom indicators in either TA blocks or just using the MQL code blocks.

Since am moving off topic now, will raise the question to the SB side and reference here.