molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TIME Icon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:28 am 

A while ago I stopped using the TIME Icon because it caused my backtesting to fail. Now I have a real need to use it so Im re-visting the problem. I suspect the issue has to do with GMT time vs My time. GMT has been a great area of confusion for me. I am Eastern USA time zone. Can anyone assist with how to determine if I should set TIME Icon to my time or GMT time?

Post subject: Re: TIME Icon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:00 am 

The time icon uses the server time so if your server time is different than your local time you may have odd results in backesting.
First thing to do is to find the server and local time. Any ea created with molanis, prints the local and server time as soon as it is attached to a chart. So attach an ea to a chart and go to the expert tabs (where the logs are printed) and get that info. Then you just use it to create the right setup for trading (and for backtesting)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:01 pm 

Ok I see that server time is 20:46 will local EA time is 13:46 (1pm). One final question. There is a "coordinated Greenwith time" in Windows XP operating system calender. is there any benifit to setting this to coordinated greenwhich time? does it help remove the time confusion within the MT4 platform?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 pm 

Windows time does not solve the issue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:27 pm 

OK Im really struggling. Ive worked all nite to re-code my ea to trade 5am to 4pm eastern time. I attempted to do this by setting the EA to trade GMT 00am 11am. I did this because currently my eastern time is 12:19am while my server time is 7:19 (not sure if am or pm). This is a difference of 5 hours. So I just checked and my EA is running now - but is should not be running as my server is saying 7:19. so im still confused and really hoping someone can help. :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:11 am 

OK finally got this working. TIME icon is set to 12pm to 22pm while START icon is set to (0-24 close all orders after time runs out). so my final question is: after 22pm will the EA begin closing currencies based on the TIME or will the purchase remain open since the START icon goes up to 24pm hours rather than 22pm? :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Here you have 3 options:
1. You use the START icon
2. You use a time icon
3. You use both
For 1) In the START icon you define a time filter for the whole ea. The ea works if the server time is in the time filter (between X hour and Y hour). the START icon has an option that you set to close all positions when trading time is out of the time filter (before X and after Y). Again this applies to the expert advisor

For 2) You don't use the START icon, instead conditions in the ea use the time icon (connect a TA with a TIME icon using an AND). Then you use a TA and TIME icon to open positions. You can use a CL or CS connected to a time icon to close positions (make sure time icon that opens positions does not overlap with the time icon that closes positions)

For 3) You use the START icon to close positions out of the TIME icon filter. Use the time icon to open positions. This requires to sync START and TIME which is more complex.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:57 am 

Ok I have chosen to use#2 where I wont use the SART icon. should I tell the START icon to turn off time filtering: Note that I will have a TIME icon to both open and close the EA.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:50 pm 

If you use option 2, time filter in START has to be off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:45 am 

[Deleted by admin - SPAM]