molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Need some clarification please..
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:36 am 

Hello Traders,

I am using Molanis strat builder after hearing some good words from other folks. I am still testing and have a couple of questions. Would really really appreciate if someone can clarify..

1. My buy/close buy strategy works fine, but sell/close short strategy somehow doesn't- even though it is the exact opposite of buy! On closer examination of the diagram, i saw that I used 'current symbol' instead of the exact pair name for close sell strategy, while for buy I used the exact pair name from the dropdown menu. Could that be the reason? Should I recreate ex4 after making the changes (change 'current symbol' to exact pair name?)
2. My buys/sells/close are created on H1 candle close. One of these buy signals was friday at 5 pm.This buy order was not created/processed by server. I am assuming that this was because the market was closed and once it is open back on sunday, the order would be processed. Has anyone faced similar issue? can anyone please confirm?
3. I am using the trial version of strategy builder rt now. Would the ea's that i create in the trial period continue to function after the trial is over or would i need to buy a license and recreate them again? Please advise.

Would really appreciate your views/comments on my questions above.

Cheers,

AKS

Post subject: Re: Need some clarification please..
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:14 am 
Site Admin

1. That could be the reason if you trade a different pair or backtest a different pair. It's better to use current pair and current timeframe unless you want a multi timeframe, multicurrency expert advisor
2. The ea runs with every bar. Your broker can send prices after closing so the ea keeps working, but the server will reject all trades and you will see a lot of warning from the ea.
Most likely the server won't process any transaction after closing.
3. EAs will stop working after the trial expires.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:09 pm 

admin wrote:
1. That could be the reason if you trade a different pair or backtest a different pair. It's better to use current pair and current timeframe unless you want a multi timeframe, multicurrency expert advisor
2. The ea runs with every bar. Your broker can send prices after closing so the ea keeps working, but the server will reject all trades and you will see a lot of warning from the ea.
Most likely the server won't process any transaction after closing.
3. EAs will stop working after the trial expires.

Reg 3- I have to forward test this EA for atleast a couple of months. What do I need to do to keep it active? Do i need to buy a strategy builder license?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:26 pm 

Yes, A pro license is needed if you want to see/modify the code. Otherwise a standard license is ok.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:21 pm 

Ok. Is there a document which can tell me what to expect of the EAs? I saw the EA buying at the 14:20 today, when it should trade only at the end of the bar (that trade shouldn't have happened before 15:00). I also see trades happening mili seconds 'before' the end of the bar (for example- buy/sell orders being placed at 14:59:56 (instead of after 15:00 (end of the bar). Happenings like this makes one nervous and less confident about the performance. I don't know why that happened or whether this is something that I should expect, and any explanation would definitely let me breathe easy.

Also, if I need some fine tuning from an expert (The logic is there but there are some rough edges that need smoothening before I can deploy it live)- can I talk to someone..like tech support or something?

Thanks,

AKS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:47 pm 

The ea prints out all action in the logs (in mt4 under the experts tab)
EAs trade at the open (one tick after the close) - Time is given by the chart.

Quote:
I also see trades happening mili seconds 'before' the end of the bar (for example- buy/sell orders being placed at 14:59:56 (instead of after 15:00
That's you human impression. Actually it should be the opposite. The bar starts at 15:00, the ea starts running, it takes some mili second to execute the ea, then it sends an orden to the server, the server executes the orden, then it tells the ea. It could take upto a couple of seconds which is normal. Personally I tell you, mt4 is not high frequency trading so mili seconds are not important here (if you think they are, do not use mt4).

EAs trade when the server sends the open tick. Also, you don't get ticks every mili second or second - you get it when the market changes.

We do custom developments - charge by the hour. Min 3 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:30 pm 

I quoted the actual times from the log itself- the trade should have happened after 15:00 (not at 14:59:xx), so the question of human impression is out..Mili seconds (they were actually seconds) are not very important but execution is :)

Anyhow, can you answer these q pls-

1. What about the occasional trades that open middle of the hour? like at 14:20 (I am pasting from the log below for your reference- replaced personal info by x's) and
2. How much do you charge for fine tuning a strategy if it lets say takes 3 hours of your time?
3. How do I troubleshoot my EA developed through Molanis SB without giving out the logic- is there a sales/tech support available to your customers?

From the log-->
14:19:58 'xxxxxx': order buy market xx EURUSD sl: xxx tp: xxx
14:19:58 'xxxxxx': request was accepted by server
14:19:58 'xxxxxx': request in process
14:19:58 'xxxxxx': order was opened : #xxxxxxxxx buy xx EURUSD at 1.33534 sl: xx tp: xx

Thanks,

AKS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:05 am 

All time info comes from the broker. The ea only uses it. If it trades at 14:59, it means the broker is telling metatrader start the new bar at 14:59 and not at 15:00 - here the ea does not have the control, the server is. If you attached the ea to a 1 hour chart, probably the next bar will start at 15:59
If you got a trade at 14:19:58 you need to look at the complete logs to understand why. If the server told mt4 to start a new bar at 14:19, then there was a problem in the server. Or probably you changed the timeframe or reseted the ea and started again at that time. Again, look at the complete logs.

For sales questions, send an email to sales at molanis dot com. Hourly prices are similar to the price of the strategy builder standard license.

Quote:
How do I troubleshoot my EA developed through Molanis SB without giving out the logic

You could ask questions here. We may be able to answer some questions - for others we need to see the logic.
Around 95% of the errors are related to uses defining wrong logic.

Code:
is there a sales/tech support available to your customers?

This forum is the free support. You can pay for email support.