molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Alert Execution & Sounds
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:27 pm 

I am running one of your samples (1 Simple MA) in the trade window but I have it set to "Alert" so there is no trading going on as per your instructions. {In the test window the EA does execute a trade when mode is set to bar instead of alert upon MA crossover even though your notes say it won't.} Anyway, I have these 3 issues:

1. The EA is supposed to provide an alert when there is an MA crossover but it doesn't do that. It just fires an alert every 30 seconds regardless of what's happening on the chart. What is the problem with this and how to fix?

2. The alert message is a very long string instead of a simple few words message. How can this be fixed?

3. No matter what I do I cannot change the sound played. I try to change the sound in the MT4 options but it won't stay changed. I change the sound in the inputs but it doesn't play a different sound. How can the sound be changed?

Post subject: Re: Alert Execution & Sounds
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:02 pm 

Quote:
1. The EA is supposed to provide an alert when there is an MA crossover but it doesn't do that. It just fires an alert every 30 seconds regardless of what's happening on the chart. What is the problem with this and how to fix?

I think you are not using an ma cross but a simple ma since it fires every time ma1>ma2 . Next time post the .mol file to check
Quote:
2. The alert message is a very long string instead of a simple few words message. How can this be fixed?
If you set it to alert in the START icon it will show the message by default showing the pair and condition that triggers the alert. You can change it if you have a pro version you can open in metaeditor and modify that text
You can use the alert icon and put your the text in that icon - for the existing ea you need to replace buy/sell icons with the alert cion

Quote:
3. No matter what I do I cannot change the sound played. I try to change the sound in the MT4 options but it won't stay changed. I change the sound in the inputs but it doesn't play a different sound. How can the sound be changed?

Mt4 has a menu where you can change the sound played by alert. You can add an extra one in the ea in the ea inputs setting the sound one and writing the sound name.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:29 pm 

molanisfx wrote:
Quote:

I think you are not using an ma cross but a simple ma since it fires every time ma1>ma2 . Next time post the .mol file to check
Quote:
If you set it to alert in the START icon it will show the message by default showing the pair and condition that triggers the alert. You can change it if you have a pro version you can open in metaeditor and modify that text
You can use the alert icon and put your the text in that icon - for the existing ea you need to replace buy/sell icons with the alert cion

Quote:

Mt4 has a menu where you can change the sound played by alert. You can add an extra one in the ea in the ea inputs setting the sound one and writing the sound name.

I'm using SB 3.2 probably not pro version. I'm OK with editing the code as you describe if I know that is something I need to do and not a fault of mine setting up the EA. Also, I'm OK with installing onto the chart the indicator the EA is supposed to use if I know that is something I need to do and not a fault of mine setting up the EA. But it would be a whole lot better if the EA supplied the indicator so I could see for myself what is happening. So I think those 2 issues are cleared up.

File 1a attached.
BEFORE MODIFICATION - When testing, it DOES execute a trade whenever there is a cross.
Modification= "Alert" replaces "Trade". It fires an alert every 30 seconds regardless of the action on the chart.

File 1b attached.
When the "Alert" icon is installed instead of BUY or SELL the custom message is ignored and it prints the string just like in 1a and there is no trading.

Right now what I want is a simple cross that executes a trade AND provides both a visual & audible alert. I want the visual message to say what I want it to say and the sound to be the sound I choose. This is common. So how does the Attached EA need to be changed to make it happen? My goal is to accomplish the task using something simple so I can move forward to more complicated settings.
Changing the sound is a lot more involved than what you indicate and I will follow-up on that in another message.

Also, there does not appear to be any way to test this. It needs to be experimented with in a live session which I find inconvenient.

Attachments:
File comment: ALERT replaces TRADE
1a-Simple-MA-EA.mol [7.73 KiB]
Downloaded 776 times
File comment: ALERT ICON replaces BUY & SELL ICONS
1b-Simple-MA-EA.mol [8.12 KiB]
Downloaded 735 times

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:05 am 

Our assestment was correct. You are using simple ma eas. Those are not crossover. You need to use the ma cross examples so you do not get a signal every bar but on the cross. Pls read the user guide. It has the complete explanation on crossovers.
As per testing, when you develop eas backtesting is just a part, then you need to test it on a demo account, and then when ready to trade use a real account. You cannot go from backtesting to real trading. Backtesting is just an approximation. It does not use all prices so testing live on demo account is required.
Mt4 will not give you the visual signals using mt4 alert on backtesting. The reason is simple. backtest a year of data with signals every hour and you end up with thousands of visual signals. This is why it prints the info in the logs so you check the logs.
I think what you need is example 19 which is an alert based on crossovers