molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trade using multiple periods
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:09 pm 

Is it possible for Molanis to trade "only when trends agree in multiple periods :?:

Post subject: Re: Trade using multiple periods
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Yes, you need to create a muti timeframe ea selecting the timeframe in the ta icons. Add the ea to the lower time frame. The examples page have some multitiframe ea examples - see http://www.molanis.com/products/molanis ... rs-for-mt4
Mind you, in mt4 you cannot backtest muti timeframe or multi currency. You need to forward test (see it working in a demo account)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:21 pm 

Thank you for your response. This has made me quite happy :D . However I have been searching without sucsess on "how to convert the .xml examples into .mol files". Am I missing something? :? Hope you can help

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:57 pm 

Just answered your other post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5461&p=9943#p9943

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:19 am 

Since I have not been able to open the mol file in Molanis can someone answer this quetstion:

First I have not used the TA icon in quite some time so please excuse my ignorance. 3 questions:

When trading multi time frames is this as simple as "repeating the same trading parameters in different TA that are configured for different time frames"?
If so, why would my EA begin trading when all TA (of different timeframe) did not agree on the trend?

What is this "Select Variable" option? I cant find anything on the site describing its use.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:19 am 

Please get the latest use guide here http://www.molanis.com/support/manuals

Quote:
When trading multi time frames is this as simple as "repeating the same trading parameters in different TA that are configured for different time frames"?

Yes, but you need to join them together using an AND icon

Quote:
If so, why would my EA begin trading when all TA (of different timeframe) did not agree on the trend?

If your ea does not trade well your logic may need to be changed. We cannot help you unless we see your logic to make sure it is fine. For this we advise people to post the .mol file (strategy file)

Quote:
What is this "Select Variable" option? I cant find anything on the site describing its use.

This option is to use variables created by users. You can create an mt4 variable and then user in a TA. Usually you will do this for a indicator period since you want to be able to change the period without having to edit the expert advisor. The user guide has some notes about it and about mt4 variables

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:46 pm 

I finally viewed the multi time frame example. It appears that I have created the ea correctly. However im confused about how it is working. My understanding from somewhere in this forum that a multi timeframe needs to run in the lowest timeframe chart. My attached mol file must trend in m5,m15,h1,h4,d1,w1 and mn to take the trade. when I run it in in m5 (lowest timeframe) it appear to ignore the higher time frames and simply trade the m5. perhaps the confusion is the term "lowest timeframe". Should I run this in the monthly (what I considered the highest timeframe?

Attachments:
MULTI TIMEFRAME TEST.mol [28.8 KiB]
Downloaded 441 times

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Admin

The ea seems fine.Things you need to consider:
Attaching it to 5 min chart / lower time frame is fine
You cannot backtest it in mt4 - you need to test it live
You need to open separated charts for all timeframes and check you have more than 170 bars - since your ma requires those bars. I would start with 2 or 3 timeframes test and will build up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 pm 

Thanks for your reply. I think you may have found the problem as I run 20 charts in every window. I know that Im not supposed to run more than 4 charts. But things have worked so well running 20. I think now that this is too many charts to allow MT4 to perform enough history look back. But why would this trade if it did not see enough history to approve a trade? How did you determine 170 bars are required?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:59 pm 

I just absorbed something else you said "You need to open separated charts for all timeframes ". are you saying that a multi timeframe ea needs to be open simultaniously in all of the timeframes specified in the strategy? But then you also said running this in m5 should be ok. please clarify. I still feel like a new bee even though I have a sucessful robot.