molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Troubleshooting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:20 pm 

I've been having an issue with a new broker (rather, a new data feed from same broker)....... an EA I created ran fine on another broker and the earlier data feed for this broker! Now, it doesn't action the trades and the expert and journal logs are a bit hard for me to follow (my broker is trying ATM).. the logic is relatively simple and nothing has changed EA wise. My broker tells me that he's spoken to people from other firms which he knows and has come to the conclusion that 'sometimes these things happen, where an EA will work on one data feed and not another for an unknown reason.'

I know MT4 is referred to in other places as CrapT4 - but it just seems weird to me that this is happening!

His solution to the problem, and apparently other traders do this, is to use a demo/live account with another broker that the EA works on - and use Copier software.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there some stupid setting I've overlooked on my EA? Or is there something else I should be looking at... I'm lost.

Regards

Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:14 am 

The broker response and recommendation does not make any sense.
The real reasons why an ea will work for one broker and not the other are:
-One is a non ecn, an the other one is ecn. You set the right value in the start icon for ecn or non ecn
-Limits are different, some brokers require more pips for tp/sl/trailing, the solution is to increase your limits
-It is a scalping ea, some brokers reject scalping eas
-The new broker has a server that is slow and have many users, so you will get requotes.
-4, 5 digits management. You can set this up with the variable in the ea inputs
-If the ea works in demo but not in live there is something odd about that broker

The log may show the reason. You can post a part of the logs for the time when a position should have been open and we can take a look

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:17 pm 

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me either... The logs look totally different. Alos, not sure if it means anything... but the EA's action trades in a back-test so I'm really stumped to see how it's a problem at my end especially seeing as not much has changed (I have had to alter the strategy a bit to account for not having a sunday bar)

Will just try to check these points off...

1) ECN - which setting exactly are you referring to? I have SB 3.1 and can't see any reference to ECN in the start icon, the only thing I was aware of was setting 'Buy/Sell orders to include TP/SL' to 'No' He tells me it's an ECN account, could he be wrong?

2/3) It's not a scalping EA, it runs off H4 chart, hence the limits are also a non issue.

4) I very much doubt the server is slow as he should have picked up on it.

5) Bid quote for EUR/AUD is 1.53982 - and 'FiveDigits' is set to 'true'

6) ATM it's not working on the demo or the live account with that broker - but he tells me the demo and live data feeds are different anyways. I beleive the demo is not ECN, that's the difference.

Also just to add, I've dealt with this guy for many years and stayed with him when he's moved firms. He's not a real technical guy and I know him personally so I can discount any sort of foul play on his part... just in case anyone was wondering.

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:29 am 

Buy/Sell orders to include TP/SL = No means ecn (=yes, means non ecn) so you are ok
No other way to check for answers unless you check the logs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:07 pm 

I made a test EA with the logic:

bid > 0 = buy

just to test with the settings of order to include TP/SL and it worked with both settings. Does that mean it's not ECN?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:14 pm 

In a ecn you cannot send the order and the tp/sl at once. You need to send the order to buy w/o tp/sl and when the order is executed then you add TP/SL. This is the reason of having this feature: Buy/Sell orders to include TP/SL , if you set it to no, then the ea sends the order and after order execution adds the tp/sl (required by ecn). If you do not use tp/sl then it does not matter - any set up will work fine. I cannot tell you what your broker does (or does not). You need to ask them.
Based on the explanation if you use tp/sl and both settings works it means that ecn and non ecn works, so the server must be non ecn (otherwise non ecn order should have been rejected)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:22 am 

Thanks for the explanation, I'm still at a loss as to what is going on and simply don't accept 'that it's just one of those things.' I tried to attach the log files but it wouldn't let me attach .txt file. Is there a perferred e-mail I could send therm to?

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:45 am 

You can send your files to support at molanis dot com