molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How to use negative numbers in molanis strategy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:09 am 

Hello , just purchased the software but the EA , i would like to build has got negative numbers to be used, forexample Moving Average Shift=-2,
whenever, i try to type in this figure(-2) if i place ok button, it just goes back ton Zero.
Was the software designed not to be used with negative numbers?

I will be so grateful ,if i am rendered due assistance.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: How to use negative numbers in molanis strategy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Shift is used as an index for the bars, in simple terms to select a current or previous bar. If shift=0 you get the current bar, if shift=1 you get the previous bar. Shift does not use negative numbers - for previous bar use 1

Post subject: Re: How to use negative numbers in molanis strategy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:18 pm 

Ah, the negative shift saga continues...

Let's try and put this issue to bed. Looking at this chart we can all see that the magenta line is a current MA aligned with the current price bar. Both the MA value and the price value are truly in step with each other in time.
Attachment:
0.gif
0.gif [ 19.42 KiB | Viewed 3099 times ]

In the next chart, the MA is shifted by 5 bars. We can see easily enough that the current MA value is offset by 5 (nonexistent) price bars out into the future--meaning the MA value from 5 bars ago is, by definition, at the current price bar.
Attachment:
5.gif
5.gif [ 19.5 KiB | Viewed 3094 times ]

Looking at our final chart, the MA is shifted by -5 bars. The current MA value is offset by -5 price bars into the past--meaning the current MA value is at 5 bars in the past.
Attachment:
-5.gif
-5.gif [ 19.38 KiB | Viewed 3107 times ]

Pay paticular attention to the last chart. All shift -5 is doing is allowing us to visually compare a 5 bar old price to the current MA. When we restate the comparison like this, the solution is simple--shift our price (Close, Bid, etc.) by 5 and leave the MA current to get the same result! In fact, if we were to black out our chart candles, build a new candle indicator shifted by 5, and overlay the current MA; we would see that the last 5 candles would be missing and we would have the same visual comparison.

If you insist on shifting your indicator, this is possible via:

Hard coding a custom indicator's mql4 code to shift -5 permanently, or
Setting a custom indicator's input parameter to shift -5 upon import into SB. Note that this is different than merely selecting iMA in SB where shift -5 will not work.