molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MA periods to use in different market sessions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:40 pm 

I am having some trouble producing a MA crossover EA that is consistently profitable. I know that every market has its ups and downs but my strategies create almost consistent downs. I am not sure what periods I should be using for my MAs and on what timeframe. I would imagine that certain pairs work best with different time periods and using varying periods for the moving averages. If anyone could help me out with the periods, time frames and pairs used to make a consistently profitable strategy, that would be appreciated. :D

Or any concept for a strategy I could use that is better than the MA crossover would be great and also really appreciated. :D

I have been making alot of expert advisors but not many have been working out. I have included the one that appears to be working the best (in backtests).

Thanks

Attachments:
5 and 10sma trading between 4 and 9, 40TP and 40SL using shift method 2 with need be above under 50sma.mol [13.19 KiB]
Downloaded 376 times

Post subject: Re: MA periods to use in different market sessions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:15 am 

MA based eas work fine in trending markets - not in sideways markets. You need to add another indicator to asses the trend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:55 pm 

The only indicator I knew for assessing the trend was making sure the price is above the 50sma for going long and the opposite for short. I was using this but obviously it wasn't good enough. What is a good indicator and it's settings used to asses the trend?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:33 pm 

Some people like ADX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:40 pm 

Is that an indicator, how do you use it and where do I find it in MT4 as I can't see it in the list of indicators?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:44 am 

See http://docs.mql4.com/indicators/iADX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:37 am 

I found out how to use the ADX and I tried to use it in an EA but all of my backtests with the EA hardly make any money but they constantly loose money. I have put a condition of needing the ADX to be above 30. Actually, I will just include the mol file so you can see what I have done. I added something to help determine the strength of the trend (the ADX indicator) as you suggested but my EA still isn't making money. What am I still missing or do I need to change something in my EA?

Attachments:
ADX.mol [13.19 KiB]
Downloaded 377 times

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:15 am 
Site Admin

We cannot help you with that. We cannot tell you how to make a profitable ea.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:25 pm 

I'm aware of that but I just wanted to know if I was using the ADX the right way. Sorry if I sounded like I wanted you to help me make money, I just want you to help me build this strategy and be able to use the ADX correctly.

I did some research and found that when the ADX is above 25, the price tends to trend so I made an EA that had the criteria for the ma crossover but I also added in the condition of the ADX needing to be above 30, just to be safe and ensure it was trending.

Is this how I am meant to use the ADX or do I need to include some other condition in a TA block to use the ADX to accurately determine if a trend exists.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:35 pm 

Yes, that's one of the ways to use ADX. I would create an ea with just ADX and will backtest it to make sure it works as expected.