molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Maximum positions opened
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:59 am 

I currently have 3 different sets of conditions to open a buy order. All of these conditions are attached to a separate BUY icon using the AND function. When 1 of these sets are triggered the ea opens 3 positions. I would like the ea to open 1 position for the first set of buy conditions. If and when the 2nd or 3rd set of conditions are triggered I would like to ea to open another position. Total max 3 positions 1 per set of conditions.

I have tried setting total maximum positions to 1 - outcome 1 order is opened not allowing any other triggers to open a buy order.

I have tried setting total maximum positions to 3. Outcome 3 positions are opened on either condition 1, 2 or 3.

I am not using pending orders

Is there something I'm missing in the ea settings. Feedback much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Maximum positions opened
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

The max number of opened position is per pair per EA - you need to understand that your trade triggers (TA icons with the AND) will open a position every time they are true. In your case it seems that you get a tick (or a new bar) and trigger 1 is true so it opens a position, in the next tick trigger 1 is still true and opens a second position... and in those 2 ticks your other triggers are false. So trigger 1 opens another position and by the time trigger 2 is true you already have 3 positions so it will not open another position.
If you want each trigger to open one position you need to build trading conditions that are independent and do not overlap; and use more complex triggers.