molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Benchmark EA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:17 pm 

I was studying this thread: Periods to Use in Different Market Sessions, and noted this response:

admin wrote:
We cannot help you with that. We cannot tell you how to make a profitable ea.

I have been extensively back and forward testing EA's using Molanis Strategy Builder for MT4 - Pro. Although I am an MQL4 coder, I prefer to backtest experiments with Molanis as it allows RAPID testing of new strategies, which can then be hand-coded with bells-and-whistles when testing is complete.

The problem with backtesting (leaving aside the acquisition of a stable MT4 backtest environment, which is a problem that has already been addressed on the Forum) is that what works in backtests is NOT what works in live forward tests, as the above poster points out. Although this is an MT4 Problem, not a Molanis problem, one very helpful thing that Molanis COULD do would be to provide EA samples that ARE at least marginally profitable. With such a benchmark, new coders would have a proven roadmap to success.

The Simple-MA-EA2.mol that is included with MSB-Pro using settings as shipped backtests as follows (USD/JPY M1, using MT4i Spread Controller on 1.6 Pips: 2000/01/02 through 2001/12/27):

Attachment:
File comment: Actual Backtest...
StrategyTester MOLANIS SMA.gif
StrategyTester MOLANIS SMA.gif [ 9.73 KiB | Viewed 3324 times ]

It's a LOSER. Of course, a new coder can tweak settings and eventually discover how to optimize the EA in backtests and forward tests to change it from a loser into a winner (I know, because I have built profitable EA's using MSB-Pro).

We pay substantial $ for MSB-Pro, in fact more than I spend on 99% of my software acquisitions. And it is worth EVERY PENNY. But please, consider including example EA's that are at least moderately profitable (as shipped) to serve as reliable testing benchmarks. I think you can tell us how to create profitable EA's; there is no rule against teaching profitability, except the unwritten trader's penchant for secrecy. If indeed we were ALL to become unbelievably wealthy- as Japanese Prime Minister Abe wishes- would that be a bad thing? Are we not moving together toward a new paradigm without poverty?

At some point I will share what I have learned in detail.

Again, thank you for MSB-Pro.

It is a truly amazing, useful tool that is indispensible to rapid coding!

Post subject: Re: Benchmark EA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:13 am 

We understand your point. Unfortunately we cannot give investment advice to be in line with regulations in the U.S. and Canada.
Maybe what we could do is to optimize future examples so they do not look as bad. As a personal note you can use the return on S&P500 as a benchmark for profitability. Thanks for the feedback.