molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TimeBasedTS (Time Based Traling Stop)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:07 am 

Hello All
Im hoping that someone can help me understand some detail about TimeBasedTS (Time Based Traling Stop) sellection in the EA input properties:

1) Where does TimeBasedTS place the trailing stop - How many pips behind the price?
2) I am assuming that TimeBasedTS only initializes after the EA has broken even - please correct me if Im wrong.
3) Im a long term trader so I set TimeBasedTS for 240 which is every 4 hours. Does anyone suggest otherwise?

Why am I using TimeBasedTS? I was actually looking for a percent based trailing stop EA but have not found such. While this is not "percent" based, it does satisfy another need - which is to make it so that I dont have to keep checking in on my robots to close any that are in profit. Im hoping to find something that will close all EAs that reach a certain% profit. I know that many say I should rather "let my profits run". That is not my philosophy. My EA will reopen automatically however if it determines the conditions are favorable.

Post subject: Re: TimeBasedTS (Time Based Traling Stop)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:39 am 

Quote:
1) Where does TimeBasedTS place the trailing stop - How many pips behind the price?

You put that in the buy / sell icon. TimeBasedTS manage when the trailing stop is evaluated. There is a short description about it at http://www.molanis.com/products/molanis ... or-builder

Quote:
2) I am assuming that TimeBasedTS only initializes after the EA has broken even

No, it works as a normal trailing stop

Quote:
3) Im a long term trader so I set TimeBasedTS for 240 which is every 4 hours. Does anyone suggest otherwise?

Initially our software used trailing stops that where in line with the way people so they worked every tick or every bar. But some people wanted to trade bars but move the trailing stops every tick, and others wanted to trade 1 hour bars but check the trailing every 30 min. Thus we created all options. In reality you have to select the way that is better for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:50 pm 

Thank you. Based on your reply I am un able to use the TimeBasedTS as I dont set static trailing stops. My EA trades all currecies so setting stops and trailing stops would too much to manage. With that said, since my buy sell TS feilds will remain empty must I remove my TimeBasedTS = 240 entry from every chart or is it fine to leave as is?

Do you have any suggestions I can research regarding percent based trailing stops capability withing molanis?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:04 am 

If your TS are empty time based trailing won't work so it is better to deactivate it.
For % you need to code them. We will add some in the next version but it is a bit delayed