molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Java hacking threat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:38 pm 

So I've been following this story with my Java disabled this week:http://www.sfgate.com/business/technology/article/Oracle-issues-Java-fix-feds-maintain-warning-4192870.php.

Does DHS really know more than Oracle about Java script? Anybody?

Post subject: Re: Java hacking threat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 am 

:) I get tons of warnings about Windows and still use it. Why do you think windows has a windows update feature that downloads and install software automatically. The average user do not realize that Microsoft has to issue security patches so often for everything. it does not really matter unless you are a possible target. Historically java has been safer than any os

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:22 am 

Since you specialize in sarcastic questions... Did you bother to read the United States Department of Homeland Security warning in the link I posted? The warning concerns Java, including installations on Mac Operating Systems. It is not limited to Windows. Oracle has acknowledged the problem and implemented a fix, but DHS maintains the warning.

Are you saying that the OS publisher is responsible for making Java's operation more secure? Has Windows done this? I'm looking for some useful information here, before I reenable Java.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:11 pm 

That is not my point. I worked several years ago in an Internet security firm and learned that all software have security issues. At that time I used to receive around a hundred emails a day with security issues like the one related to java. There is a window between the time a security issue is discovered and the time a new patch is released, and installed. Hackers take advantage of that window. Most of users do not even realize that. However most of hackers do not want to hack the average person which is easier but they focus on institutions. Anyway all these thoughts are better for other forums.

What is important here is that the java issue is for web browsers for an old java version - meaning java applets and maybe jsp pages. Our products are desktop based so there is no security issues that affect us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:09 pm 

Thank you.