molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TP & TS Fundamentals
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:50 pm 

My understanding of the Take Profit & Trailing Stop functions seems to be different than what I observe during an MT4 strategy test. Maybe different platforms have different rules. Specifically, as I understand it, a trailing stop is not supposed to halt a trade as it follows a price in a particular direction during a trend. However, I see indicators on the testing chart that tell me the testing program stopped the trade during a trend for no apparent reason other than the trailing stop got adjusted, whatever that means.

Please provide a link to where I can get instructions on how both the TP & TS functions are supposed to work.

Also, in the SB 3.2 User Guide p16 after "Sell Color" you show "Automatically Adjust SL/TP to Server Accepted Levels".
I do not have that in my software. Please explain.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: TP & TS Fundamentals
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

TP & TS are forex concepts we are not the best source for that. we can help with product support.
In eas tp is defined and send to the server which executes it (unless you use a ecn where the tp is added after the trade is executed - ecns do not accept tp with the order to trade)
ts are executed on the client, eas have several variables to control when to verify is a ts can move to a certain level. you cand do it every tick, every bar, every n time. Depending on your selection you will or will not see them in backtesting. ts are really difficult to evaluate in backtesting, the best approximation would be to trade and evalute ts in the same cycle meaning if you trade bars you evaluate ts once per bar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:35 pm 

I think you missed the second question....

"Also, in the SB 3.2 User Guide p16 after "Sell Color" you show "Automatically Adjust SL/TP to Server Accepted Levels".
I do not have that in my software. Please explain."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:44 pm 

"ts are really difficult to evaluate in backtesting,"

OK.. Thanks for that. It confirms my suspicion that something was not going as planned.

As I understand it, the MT4 platform factors pips to one more decimal place. In other words, to get a 50 pip TS you need to set it to 500 in MT4. So my question is this, does the SB 3.2 program factor that in? Am I good with a 50 pip TS to be converted to 500 MT4 pips or do I need to make that adjustment in the SB program?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:35 am 

Quote:
Automatically Adjust SL/TP to Server Accepted Levels

That is for non ecn borkers. We do not recommend to use that unless you have trading experience with your broker. The problem is that now a days brokers do not set that up in the server. It should work like this:
-the ea will ask the server, what is the min tp and sl allowed. The server will give some limits and the ea will use those.
Since some servers do not have that set up, it is better that you open a trade manually and check what would be the min tp and sl. Some brokers do not like scalpers so they require 15 or 20 pips. Other will say 5 pips but will have requotes.

Quote:
In other words, to get a 50 pip TS you need to set it to 500 in MT4.

The strategy builder manages that for you. The cause was that before quotes have 4 decimals and now they have 5 decimals. Most brokers now have 5 decimals so all eas are set up by default to work with 5 decimals. In the buy/sell icons if you want 50 pips you set it to 50
If you use 4 decimals you still set it to 50 but in the ea variables you change the decimal flag to use 4 decimals.