molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is it possible to lock profits?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:50 am 

Hi

Is it possible to carry out the following trade

buy UK100
Limit: 100
Lock Profit @ every 5 points beyond 100 (limit)

Cheers,

John

Post subject: Re: Is it possible to lock profits?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Not sure I get the question, you buy with a limit order, or you but and assign 100 tp?
If you have a position and you want to decrease size you cannot do it with the icons, you need to use the mql icon and add some code. It is not simple
In the next version we will have icons for that

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:38 pm 

Let me explain better,

I purchase a share at 100USD, set stop loss at 50USD limit at 160USD. Now I'd like to lock in the profit if the rises to 160USD, but I also don't want to close out the trade, i'd like to let the profit run and lock in each consecutive 5USD into profit the stock goes.

So in essence, once the stock goes above 160USD, the profits locks in. For every consecutive 5USD move beyond 160USD, I'd like the profits to continue locking. So if the stock goes to 172USD, profits should be locked at 170USD. Does it make sense?

Also if it's not possible with the platform, of chance of posting a code sample which might carry out this function?

Thank you,

J

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:12 am 

If you put tp at $160 the position will be closed at $160. There is no way to lock it and expect to get the next $5.
You can do some of that with trailing stops, so the sl moves up when the market moves up. But it moves every n pips and cannot move 5 pips (brokers will not accept smal movements)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:52 pm 

I guess what im looking for is a trailing profit. So where a trailing stop automatically modifies itself the more into profit the trade goes. A trailing profit (I had heard the term before) Allows profits to run but every N pips/point, it locks in the profit.

Regarding your last comment,

'But it moves every n pips and cannot move 5 pips (brokers will not accept small movements'

How do you know the value of 'n' pips (Assuming n isn't 5) - By pips I'm refering to points, so in this case each point the UK100 moves.

Many Thanks,

John

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:26 am 

if you have a good broker he will tell you
Trial an error is the best option, use the broker minimum sl to start. Mind you those minimum values change with volatility