molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Importing Indicator from IB into SB Issue for BUY and SELL
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:17 pm 

People use offline charts to do things that MT4 does not support like tick charts. MT4 does not support tick data so people put it in a tick offline chart. Offline charts are not designed for trading so be careful if you attach your ea to it. Some things work and some don't - you will have to spend some time using offline charts to learn. Also, you cannot backtest using offline charts (there are some crazy workarounds but the bottom line is it is not supported by MT4).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:42 am 

well I ended up not using offline charts at all. I have tried offline charts for range bars actually and attached EA on it, and ended up not using after.

Now I am clear between trading the charts using completed bars to true running at first tick and have the EA work with completed bars at false running every tick. I have since then been on completed bars to true to make sure all is good.

The indicators I use, that uses current bar in them when sending it's signals to charts, I still experience the the same problem for those indicators where the values eventually current or past that are printed on the current chart at time EA detects an entry, and not even the higher timeframe one, eventually do not match the charts while trading completed bars to true which I understand runs at first tick where open=close=high=low. I did the same thing printing most recent highest high or lowest low using the FractalsLine indicator printing current and past in time at time of entry and it always match the charts. FractalsLine does not use current bar.

I am really just referring to the indicators as per what IB shows when I import them in IB. I just paste it in EA as explained from this post. Period is 0 for current chart. On the charts the indicator signals moves correctly and it never moved to the level where EA says the value is at first tick.

I know I am referring to the modes correctly as I printed each of them separately using IB on separate chart to check which one it matches.

I started seeing this issue when I imported the indicator in IB with period hardcoded. I sent the file in email correspondence. As explained eventually the hardcoded indicator running on lower timeframe loses sync with the indicator as seen on higher timeframe, and I can only sync hardcoded from lower back after pointing chart to higher timeframe. Seems this also happens on current chart with Period 0 over time. EA detects entry over time so when it reads the indicator for some reason the value does not match the chart.

So for current chart I use

iCustom(Symbol(),0,"Indicator", "-----Alert Settings-----", FALSE, FALSE, "alert.wave", FALSE, 17,2,i+1) in condition, the value EA sees does not match on chart at time of entry

So really then why the indicators when attached to chart plots correctly visually but eventually in time in IB or SB when referring to them at entry it at times does not match the chart :?:

Before I can switch to ticks, I first need to be sure trading the charts sees the same thing. I don't think this is an issue with the conditions for entry. It's correct and the custom indicator I use plots correctly on chart at time of entry, but there is a difference in the values IB or SB sees in comparison to the chart for those indicators. Not saying this is a problem with IB or SB as using other indicators that I created using IB and others that this strategy uses while trading bars the values always match the chart value at time of entry.

The difference in values on those indicators will at time detect incorrect signals, and also close at incorrect levels which I have seen this week while trading the charts

The conditions for entry does behave properly as per the values EA sees at entry but it does not match the charts even with completed bars to true for those 3 indicators

Have I misunderstood something here :?:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:55 pm 

The problem is call repaint, you may want to google it - the indicator value changes. Watching perfect signals on historical charts and not being able to get them in real life is due to the indicator logic. Fractals and zigzags have this issue. In zigzags the signals are so unreliable that on needs to look at the last 3 bars.