molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: EA Not Triggering "sometimes".
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:18 am 

I have an EA with 10 potential entries, and 8 potential exits. Sometimes the EA functions perfectly, and at other times does not trigger. It is not crashing my platform or my computer. I run this EA on 7-10 different pairs. What could be the cause of the EA not triggering?

Post subject: Re: EA Not Triggering "sometimes".
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:57 pm 

The most common error (from people and not from the ea) is trading the current bar and looking at the chart after the fact. The chart shows the prices and lines at the close but you trade at the open. So you will have some cases where at the open the signal indicated "do not take the trade" but at the close the signals says "take the trade". Since you look at the chart after the fact you think: it did not take the trade, the ea does not work. In reality you are looking at a different signal.

The other thing you will see is a cannot trade error - this is normal since you have many eas and mt4 executes one at a time so when the second ea wants to be executed, it has to wait and the error is shown.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:01 am 

Thanks for the response. :D

The EA I am using does not trade the current bar. That's why this puzzles me. Here's an example of one of the pieces of the EA.

If
Open[1] < 5MA[1] and
Close[1] > 5MA[1] then
BUY

As you see, this is nothing more than a bull candle beginning below the 5MA[1] and closing above the 5MA[1]. Sometimes this will trigger a entry or an exit, sometimes it doesn't. This seems different than the scenario you describe in your response. Could you address this scenario please?

The second part of your response was that "mt4 executes one at a time so when the second ea wants to be executed, it has to wait and the error is shown." When this happens and the error is shown, does the ea try again or are you just out of luck?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

Please post your .mol file to check it.
The problem may be executing many eas at the same time. The ea will retry several times but at some point it may not trade that bar. You need to look at the logs. It will tell you the issues.
One thing you could do is to try to reduce the number of eas creating multi currency eas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 pm 

I followed your advise regarding a multi-currency ea. I works ok, but still misses some trades. Where this hurts the most is on exits. Can you help me with the mql code where I could add a timing element? What I mean is instead of the EA executing at the end of the a bar, I could set it to trade at X minutes after the end of the bar. Then there wouldn't be the log jam of the different EA's all trying to execute at the same time. I could just add the code to an mql block to my existing EA's and off we go. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:57 pm 

We do not have that code. It is not as simple. Unfortunately you need to change the code in several parts so adding it to the mql icon is not possible. You could take a look at the way we manage trailing stops that are executed every n minutes and apply the same concept to trade every n minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:24 am 

Still having issues getting my multi-currency EA to execute properly. You posted in December that you would look at it for me if I would post it. Did I read that correctly? Is there a charge for this? And if I do post it, will this give others access and ability to download my EA?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:55 pm 

Just remember that you cannot backtest muti currency eas in mt4. You need to test it live.
If you want us to review your strategy, post the .mol file here - all users will have access to it. The support forum is free since we want the community to grow.
If you do not want to post it, we have consulting services - we charge by the hour or per project. Just send an email to sales for further info.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 am 

Is there a maximum number of trading blocks that can be used to create an EA using the Molanis tool? The reason I ask, is I have a couple of EA's that work well. Both EA's have about 60 or so trading blocks with 8 BUY and 8 SELL blocks. I've tried to combine them, but when I do, this NEW EA with over 150 trading blocks don't execute.

Also, is it necessary to move ALL connecting lines from trading blocks to Start or End so that they DO NOT touch or go through any other trading blocks?

Please advise. :)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:53 pm 

For new questions please start a new thread
There is no limit. I mean the limit is imposed by the screen size - however I find that managing 150 icons is too much since it is too hard to make sure all the connections are ok. Also testing the ea and finding possible error in logic will be cumbersome