molanis.com/forum - Tools for MetaTrader : The place to ask about the best expert advisor builder, expert advisor downloads, and expert advisor programming

AFTER YOU REGISTER SEND US AN EMAIL TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT - Before posting:-1- Please read the user guide -2- Try the examples -3- Search in the forum
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: optimizing EA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:10 pm 

Hi Molanis. Thanks for this software. Now am able to test my 3D EAs on new mt5 without wasting time at all. You truly help traders!
Was reading an article about optimization on the mt4 site and i dint FULLY get the explanation on how the guy selected the best section of his 2D (the y-axis) and also his final selection. Will appreciate it if you can explain this to me or probably write similar article on you site.
This is the link http://articles.mql4.com/479

Thanks

Post subject: Re: optimizing EA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:06 am 

If you have two variables, let's say tp (take profit) and sl (stop loss) you look for the best combination that give you the higher profit. Thus you select the darker area of the graph. The problem is that many people cross the line between optimization and over fitting (over optimization) - changing the setup so much to make the highest profit in testing but they forget about forward testing.
When building statistical models, one could use 2/3 of the historical data for optimization and 1/3 for testing after optimization. The issue here is that the latest market data has valuable information.
This is a nice article that talks a bit about common errors:
http://championship.mql5.com/2010/en/news/23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:11 am 

molanisfx wrote:
If you have two variables, let's say tp (take profit) and sl (stop loss) you look for the best combination that give you the higher profit. Thus you select the darker area of the graph. The problem is that many people cross the line between optimization and over fitting (over optimization) - changing the setup so much to make the highest profit in testing but they forget about forward testing.
When building statistical models, one could use 2/3 of the historical data for optimization and 1/3 for testing after optimization. The issue here is that the latest market data has valuable information.
This is a nice article that talks a bit about common errors:
http://championship.mql5.com/2010/en/news/23

Hi. Thanks for that reply. AM not new to trading generally (normally do manual trading) but very new to automating trades and will be learning more till i get better.
Have posted my final ea. Its just the simple rules i use in my daily chart. And the result i have here compare to that i see on mt5 forum is intimidating. People making profit of over 800k. Anyway i will still like to to participate at least for the fun of it - noting to lose.
Would have loved to use my other system which is on smaller time frame (it will enter more trades) but it requires 'pending order' and is not present here. Pls are you going to include it in the final version.

Note: My a/c in the ATC2010 still not withing the required a/c range. Am i to do anything about it or what.

Attachments:
final.jpg
final.jpg [ 207.24 KiB | Viewed 3956 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:59 am 

Quote:
Note: My a/c in the ATC2010 still not withing the required a/c range. Am i to do anything about it or what.

Don't understand your question.

Pending orders will come early next year. We will add iatr stops and then martingale this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:08 am 

molanisfx wrote:
Quote:

Don't understand your question.

Pending orders will come early next year. We will add iatr stops and then martingale this year.

The account number for championship is between 60;000 and 650;000 and my a/c number is above that range

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:37 am 

We do not have any control on account numbers. That's on the broker side. You may want to ask them.